background

Monday, January 4, 2010

Dating...where to look?

For the last year this blog has been a outlet of sorts for me. A glimps into my life, the ups and downs. The crazy way the road leads. For the next bit of blogs I am going in a different direction and we'll see how this works out. Its my honest thougths on subject matter(s) that spark my interest or that are dear to my heart. You will still be getting a glimps into "A day in my life" but there are things out there I would like to get my voice out on. For my friends that are reading this on facebook, please follow the link to my blog page and leave your comments there. I'd really apprecate it if you did!

Now that all that is out of the way...first subject matter. Sense I have so many subjects it was hard to just pick one. The first one I have choose to dive into is dating...where to find a date.

Now there is many ways to find a date, just depends on what you are looking for. There is dating websites out there, book stores, grocery stores, bars, friends of friends, having a account with places like MySpace and Facebook. There is many more ways but I just choose to name a few.

I am no dating expert by any means, but sense I am out there, dating (or so I keep saying) I figured I'd look futher into what it is that I am doing here. Now I will be very honest in saying I do have a profile up on a few online dating sites, and I will say I have met a few people off there. I will also say that on both my MySpace and Facebook sites it shows I'm single. I have no problem putting myself out there. However I am very pick and very selective as to who I will respond to or not. And I will go into "hiding" if it becomes too much for me.

What I have found by having these up, is that the guys out there looking for a real relationship are few and far between. I have talked with about 30 or 40 different guys between all the above mentioned sites. And out of that, I have dated one for a few months, and met face to face about 6 or 7. What I have learned so far is that guys are slow to respond on a lot of things. Hey, if I have taken the time out of my day to send you a email, then please at least do the same. Even if its, "your not what I'm looking for". I'm cool with that. Just let a person know.

I have gone to bars...and well its not much different there than on a dating website. Met a guy there one time. That was interesting to say the least. But its in the past. And that is where it shall stay. The upside of going there is I get to dance, have a few (hopefully) free drinks and have a good time while meeting people I would not normally me otherwise.

I have heard about people meeting at book stores and grocery stores and places like Starbucks. Now I can really say that I have never gone to any of these places with the though, "Hey, lets get me a guy there". I go to a book store for the books (we all know I adore reading), and to the grocery store for food and Starbucks.... well for visiting with friends and hot chocolate and to read. NEVER once have I ever ran into a guy at any of those places that has say a word to me. I actually went not that long ago to these places as a test. Went to see if that is where people are meeting up at. Nope. At least in my area of the US, its not happening. At the book store I went to, I saw moms and kids, teens, husbands looking a bit lost trailing after his wife. At the grocery store I saw about the same thing as the book store. Starbucks I have yet to test the theory there. Maybe its because I dont live in one of the big, hussle and bussle city's. Who knows.

As I sit here writting this I'm trying to think if I have ever gone on a date because of a friend. As in your friend knows your single and comes up and says "Oh I know someone that would be good for you. XXxx...." and you can fill in the rest. I really do not remember doing that. So must have not happened.

I did some research online (because I love reserch and love to learn some new things) when writting this blog about the ways people meet now days. A few things that came up were:

1. Join a singles group in your area (lol, I think not. the only thing of that type I was in, everyone was older than me by many years).

2. Join a club in the area with a subject that interests you. Like books or gardening.

3. Go shopping in the opposite's sex department and ask a non-employee for help.

4. Attend a dating event like "8 seconds Dating" (I personally have never heard of this)

5. Join a Professional Organization.

I honestly can say doing any of those 5 are really not for me. I dont know why but totally outside of my comfort zone by far.

In my research I did come up with some tips for every day life.

1. Set a goal of saying Hi to 5 people a day (I do this already)
2. Smile. Make it look like your having fun. (most days I already have a smile on my face)
3. Always be dressed and groomed to meet new people. Even if you are just running to get gas or something at the store.
4. Don't be afraid of being rejected. or Rejecting someone. Just because you ran into the hot guy/girl at the mall, and you start talking, does not mean you have to give them your number if your not interested.
5. Ask questions and be polite.

Pretty good tips (and I put my personal spin on them).

Now for you readers out there. Any suggestions? Where do you go looking for a date? How did you meet your hubby, wife or SO? Would any of the tips work for you?

Till next time....

xoxo, T

2 comments:

Nicole E said...

Hey Tessa, first of all this is Nicole from bartending school. One idea I've had for a while is if you throw a party, amd every woman coming invites a few single guy friends she thinks are really great, but not her type. That way there are a ton of single men for the single girls to choose from.

A single girlfriend of mine was going to try speed dating, but there doesn't seem to be any companies that do it in the Sac area.

I know you'll eventually find someone really great. I'll keep an eye out for you, too. :)

Theresa said...

Thanks Nicole! I read that on one of the sites I read when researching. I'd have to have friends first that had guy friend and that would do a party! lol.
I know I'll find someone great too, its just a matter of time. In the mean time I get to blog about it and have fun. :)